Compassionate Dental Care for Your Child
At Palermo Village Dental, our dentists in Oakville treat our patients with compassion and respect for their individual needs at every age. Along with a comprehensive exam, cleaning, and orthodontic screening, we help your child learn about keeping their teeth clean with tips that make sense to them.
Throughout your child’s appointment, we’ll do whatever we can to create a comfortable, friendly environment for them so they can feel good about going to the dentist.
The Importance of Dental Exams For Kids
Regular oral exams and cleanings are an essential part of your child’s health care. The Canadian Dental Association recommends an exam and cleaning every 6 months, starting from the appearance of their first tooth.
We encourage you to bring in your infant even before their first tooth appears, particularly if they’re having any trouble feeding. We can assess them for a tongue tie or lip tie that could be contributing to distress or poor nursing.
Every exam is a chance for your dentist to catch any emerging issues and treat them before they cause bigger problems.
What to Expect During Your Child’s Exam
Your child’s appointment always includes a friendly introduction to their dentist and hygienist. The exam will vary a bit based on their age and their personal oral health needs, but here is an overview of what to expect.
Your Child’s First Appointment
Your child’s first appointment includes:
- An evaluation of their overall oral health
- An assessment of their jaws for appropriate growth
- A check for any breathing, nursing, or swallowing concerns
- Gentle stain or deposit removal with a brush or cloth
- An evaluation for any sores or bumps in their mouth
- Recommendation for a fluoride supplement, if needed
- An assessment of the effects of any thumb-sucking or pacifier use
Toddlers & School-Aged Kids
Your child will receive a thorough teeth-cleaning at their appointment along with hygiene advice appropriate for their age. Your dentist or hygienist may also:
- Perform an evaluation of your child’s overall oral health
- Apply sealants to protect teeth that are susceptible to decay to protect them against cavities
- Repair cavities with our Solea dental laser
- Look for any problems with your child’s bite and refer you to orthodontic care, if needed
- Take dental x-rays, if necessary, for diagnosis and treatment
Share Your Smile With Us
We’d love to see your smile at Palermo Village Dental.
Where to Park?
There’s plenty of free parking on-site at our location on the western corner of Dundas and Old Bronte Road.
- Suite #290, 2525 Old Bronte Rd.
- Oakville, ON L6M 4J2
Hours of Operation
- Monday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
- Friday: By Appointment Only
- Saturday: 8:00 AM – 2:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed
Note: We are only open every 2nd Saturday.